Jamie and Brooke Deen join Paula in the kitchen to make a flower power chocolate cookie. This is a fun recipe with your kids!
1 cup plus 1/4 cup, softened butter
3 1/2 cups divided confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons divided vanilla extract
6 1-ounce melted and cooled squares bittersweet chocolate
3 cups plus more for dusting all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 oz softened cream cheese
1 splash if needed milk
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup butter, 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
2. Beat in the egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually add the chocolate to the butter mixture, beating until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Gradually add to the sugar mixture, beating until combined. Divide the dough in half. Press each half into a 10-inch disk, wrap in heavy-duty plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch flower shaped cutter, cut out the dough.
6. Place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool on the pan for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan, and cool completely on wire racks.
7.Pipe or spoon Cream Cheese Flower Center Frosting onto center of each cookie. Sprinkle with sprinkles or sanding sugar, if desired.
Cream Cheese Flower Center Frosting:
1. In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
2. Gradually beat in 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar until smooth.