A wonderful Mexican recipe we make in the Dean household is chicken empanadas
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium finely diced yellow onion
1 can diced green chiles
1/2 seeded and finely diced, optional jalapeño
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 picked and finely chopped rotisserie chicken
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
1 1 mixed with 1 tablespoon of water, for egg wash egg
1 jar prepared salsa verde
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/8 teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce cayenne pepper
1. Heat vegetable oil in a medium sauté pan, add onions, green chiles, jalapeños, garlic and cumin and sauté until onions are translucent.
2. In large bowl combine chicken, lime juice and cilantro. Add the onion-chili mixture and mix. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Using a 4-inch ring mold, cut circles from prepared pie dough. Put about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture in center of dough. Brush egg wash around circumference of the dough. Fold top half over to form a half circle. Seal with the tines of a fork.
4. Heat a deep-fryer to 325 °F. with peanut oil. Submerge a few empanadas into oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
5. Cool slightly and serve with Orange Salsa Verde dipping sauce.
Cook’s Note: Make sure to flip so both sides cook evenly.
Orange Salsa Verde:
In a large bowl combine salsa verde, orange juice and cayenne pepper or hot sauce.